North Notts Physiotherapy provides a comprehensive falls prevention and rehabilitation program. As we get older the risk of having falls increases. Around 30% of adults over the age of 65 who live at home will have at least one fall a year, and about half of these will have more frequent falls. For those aged 80 and over this increases to 50%.
In the UK, falls are the most common cause of injury related deaths in people over the age of 75 years of age. They can often result in major injury such as a broken bone.
A first fall can set in motion a downward spiral of fear of falling, which in turn can lead to inactivity, loss of strength and balance, loss of confidence and a greater risk of further falls. North Notts Physiotherapy can address these issues by providing a falls prevention and rehabilitation program in your own home, helping you regain your independence and return to your regular lifestyle.
Causes of falls
Anybody can have a fall but research has shown we have a greater risk of falling as we get older. There are many risk factors that increase a persons chance of falling including the following
- Loss of balance or co-ordination
- Decline in muscle strength particularly in the legs
- Poor mobility and confidence
- Hazards around the home causing trips, slips or bumps
- Taking medication that makes you drowsy or dizzy
- Vision or hearing problems
- Long term health conditions such as low blood pressure or dementia
How we can help
A tailored physiotherapy programme can reduce the risk of falls by as much as 54%. North Notts Physiotherapy falls prevention and rehabilitation program consist of the following
- Completion of a comprehensive falls assessment
- A personalised goal specific exercise programme to improve strength and balance
- Practise of functional task related activities to improve confidence
- Advice on the use of walking aids or home equipment to assist with daily activities
- Home hazard assessment to create a safer environment
- Advice on medication reviews
- Advice on lifestyle changes
National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) guidance for falls in older people: assessing risk and prevention – https://www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/CG161
Public Health England guidance falls: applying all our health – https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/falls-applying-all-our-health/falls-applying-all-our-health
At north Notts Physiotherapy we ensure that treatment is based around your specific goals and needs. If you would like to book an appointment or ask us a question please contact us